Sunday 7 July 2019

Careena 18 - A Happy Homecoming

   Last time, we finished with Careena, Gamana and Ditarni, the young Wyvern, enduring through the harsh winter of the Ironlands in their cave on Raven Ridge just on the edge of the Deep Wilds (hex 36.34 on Kurt's map - see the Map page). On with the story ...



As the winter passed, Careena learnt much about Dewomer. However none of it came to her easily ... by its very nature, Dweomer was a fluid thing that was constantly changing in its nature, requiring endless changes in the approach needed. Careena's mind just didn't work that way ... She needed certainties, logical results - if you do this, then that happens ... Also, opening her Sight should have enabled Careena to see the Wildfolk, the elemental spirits that lived beside, but invisible to people. Only children and Dweomer-workers could see them, but they remained stubbornly invisible to her ...

Even learning the Scry ritual did not help her to see the Wildfolk
   Advance: 2xp to gain the Scry asset (2 not 3 due to Ritualist 3rd ability)
Eventually Careena realised, and Gamana was forced to accept, that the Dweomer-road was not for her, despite Gamana's best efforts to lead her on to it.

Disheartened by her 'failure' as she saw it, Careean became increasingly restless. She could not determine why but she felt the need to be elsewhere. Eventually an exasperated Gamana sent her back to the Wyvern nest to collect as many bones as possible and meditate upon her restlessness as she did so.

The journey was like a panacea - as soon as she was alone, forging through the deep snow that still lay on the ground, she felt much better. The nagging doubt soon manifested into a certainty that her un-pursued vows were weighing heavily upon her. Swearing a vow was no small thing, and she had done nothing for months to fulfil her vows to learn what she should as a Child of Earth or to return the Dead Dwarf to its family. She could do nothing for this while she remained with Gamana trying to walk a road that she could not - the Dweomer-road.

By this point, Careena had reached the nest and spent an entire day collecting as many of the bones as she could, and then began her return to Gamana. As she did she decided that she would confront Gamana with her realisation and beg to be released from her vow.
   This is a significant realisation for Careena - that the Dewomer-road is not for her, so I'm going to mark it as progress on her vow - even though she may have to forsake it
   Reach a Milestone - I will serve Gamana for a year and a day; prog -> 8/10
Much to Careena's pleasure, Gamana was very understanding after Careena had explained the results of her meditation. Gamana declared that she would meditate upon this herself and set Careena to grinding the Wyvern bones to powder while she did. The repetitive nature of the task allowed Careena's mind to wander and she meditated upon her decision further - but the more she did so, looking at the problem from every angle that she could conceive of, the more certain she became that she was right.

The next morning Gamana prepared Careena to hear how she had decided to resolve the situation; there was one last task for Careena to do and then Gamana would hold her oath fulfilled. Gamana required Careena to swear a vow to return to her home, confront her father and learn why he had not told her what she should know as a Child of Earth, something that Careena happily agreed to.
   Swear an Iron Vow: I will return to Hillbarrow and learn from my father why he did not teach me what I should know as a Child of Earth Dangerous; 3 +2 [heart] +1 [bond w Gamana] vs 1,2; strong hit, +2 mom -> 4
   Fulfil My Vow: I will serve Gamana for a year and a day; prog 8 vs 7,5; strong hit, 2xp
Later that same day, her belongings gathered and packed, Careena bade Gamana farewell and set out to return to Hillbarrow.
   This departure begins Careena's path in progress towards 3 of her vows so lets have some milestone moves ...
   Reach a Milestone - I will learn what I should know as a Child of Earth; prog -> 4/10
   Reach a Milestone - I will return this Dwarf's bones to his kin; prog -> 2/20
   Reach a Milestone - I will return to Hillbarrow and learn from my father why he did not teach me what I should know as a Child of Earth; prog -> 2/10

   Undertake a Journey: Return to Hillbarrow, dangerous due to snow; 6 +3 [wits] vs 5,8; strong hit, prog -> 2/10
Careena mad good progress that day, walking as there was no rush now she had set out, but she carried on into the night - she had the fat to burn as a result of her forced idleness during the winter.
   Undertake a Journey: Return to Hillbarrow, dangerous; 1 +3 [wits] vs 1,2; strong hit, prog -> 4/10
As dawn came, Careena was still walking the snow-covered hills at the edge of the Havens. It seemed to her as if the rest of the world still slept the sleep of winter, it was so quiet
   Undertake a Journey: Return to Hillbarrow, dangerous; 4 +3 [wits] vs 2,9; weak hit, prog -> 6/10, -1 supply -> 4
   Reach a Milestone - I will return to Hillbarrow and learn from my father why he did not teach me what I should know as a Child of Earth; prog -> 4/10
Through the rest of that day, Careena continued walking through the snow. At least the warm day was thawing some of it.
   Undertake a Journey: Return to Hillbarrow, dangerous; 2 +3 [wits] vs 4,8; weak hit, prog -> 8/10, -1 supply -> 3
As evening drew on, she came into sight of the fields surrounding Hillbarrow.
   Reach Your Destination: Return to Hillbarrow, dangerous; prog 8 vs 6,9; weak hit, unforeseen hazard or complication
   Ask The Oracle: Ironsworn Chartopia Action & Theme Oracles gave several results, but the first I liked was Eliminate Enemy - I want to get the Broken into the game and this seems like a fine opportunity
Undamaged Hillbarrow
As Hillbarrow itself came into view, Careena saw that the settlement had been attacked recently - smoke still rose fitfully from a burnt part of the palisade and some homes inside it.

Men were picking up white-skinned bodies and throwing them onto a make-shift pyre, that even as she watched was lit by one of Lady Mertree's warriors.

Careena ran across the fields toward the gate ignoring the snow that flew upwards in great gouts as she ran. At the gate, Penca - another of Lady Mertree's warriors - waved her past, saying "This is fine timing Careena! Your axe will be useful should the thrice-cursed Broken return tonight!" Careena nodded and ran past him to her parents' home, hoping they were unharmed.
   Reach a Milestone - I will return to Hillbarrow and learn from my father why he did not teach me what I should know as a Child of Earth; prog -> 6/10
Careena paused to knock on their door, but opened and entered without waiting for an answer. Both her mother and father turned to look at her as she came into the kitchen that was the heart of their home. Tuage dropped the bandage she had been wrapping around the large slash on her father's arm and rushed over to hug her daughter, "Thanks the gods you are safe daughter!" Tuage exclaimed.

As she had expected her father hid his emotions, and it was only because she had known him so long that the slight tightening around his eyes told her he was happy. Despite his reticence, it was a happy homecoming for Careena, but the recent attack and her intention to confront her father spoiled it somewhat.

Tuage - the one who had always done all the talking for the couple - told Careena what had happened. Last night old Dignyl had had the watch - his last it was believed as he had not yet been found - and the Broken had assaulted the town. Dignyl had failed to alarm the village and the Broken had managed to abduct 3 families before the alarm had finally been raised. Once detected, they began firing homes and a large part of the palisade - Maestyn, the new captain of Lady Mertree's warband, and Cardy the village headman had told the assembly that morning that they thought the Broken would attack again that night; why else fire the palisade?

As she told Careena of the events, Tuage had finished bandaging Lagon's arm and he stood, saying, "So I will stand the nightwatch tonight with the other men of the village and the Lady's warband - those not back in the fortguard; will you stand it with us my daughter?"

Proud to be accepted as a warrior by her father, Careena replied, "I will father, but we must talk about other matters first. Mother will you excuse us?" Tuage looked from her husband to her daughter, and could sense the tension between them ... "Of course," she said, "I must go to old Cardee and help her - she lost all of her family last night," and she left her home, quietly closing the door behind her.

The silence between them stretched awkwardly until they both moved to sit at the table at the same time, bringing sheepish grins to both their faces. As they sat Careena found her courage and asked her father, "Father why did you never tell me that I am a Child of Earth?"
   Reach a Milestone - I will return to Hillbarrow and learn from my father why he did not teach me what I should know as a Child of Earth; prog -> 8/10
Lagon looked at Careena for a long time, right in her eyes and she could see the pain he was in, and the truth that would be in his words. He looked down at his hands where they lay upon the table and began to speak, "You know that I was cast out of my birthplace when I was young? Well, when that happened, I swore an Iron Vow that I would never speak of my life before that to another soul, so great was the secret in my soul. I was alone, an outcast, I never dreamed that I would one day have another home, a new family, a child! But even so, I hope that you believe me when I tell you that I cannot forswear an iron vow."
   Fulfil My Vow: I will return to Hillbarrow and learn from my father why he did not teach me what I should know as a Child of Earth; prog 6 vs 5,5; strong hit, 2xp, positive twist ...
"I would no more want you to break it, than I could break it myself father - I have learnt that we Dwarves never forget our vows, nor will the iron in our souls allow them to be broken." Careena replied.

At the words 'we Dwarves', Lagon had looked up suddenly at Careena, a look of hope coming to his face. "We Dwarves!" he said as Careena finished, "I had always hoped that you would find your heritage, learn what you are! It gladdens my heart so much to hear that from you." With a completely out of character display of emotion, Lagon leapt up from the bench he sat upon and rushed to Careena, gathering her in his arms as tears welled in his eyes.

For a long time they stood there, embracing, sharing a closeness that neither had felt before. It was only Tuage's return that caused their embrace to end - they broke apart with more sheepish grins. Tuage looked to one from the other and her face broke into a large smile, saying, "I don't know what was said, nor do I want to, but I've never seen the pair of you looking so happy at the same time," and she busied herself making food for them all.

"By the way," Lagon said looking meaningfully at Careena, "I went to Llangoed for Lady Mertree recently and found a cousin - Kone - living there. You should go and meet him when you can." With that, Careena knew that he would never speak of his vow again.

They were soon eating and then as the sun set, they heard the call for the nightwatch to assemble, so Careena and her father picked up their weapons and left the house. As they went to the assembly, Careena showed her father the ring, necklace and battleaxe that she had taken from the dead Dwarf at Zorkon's Stone and told him of her vow. He would only say that Kone would help her, but was very admiring of the battleaxe.

As they approached the gathering place, Careena stopped them and conducted the Keen ritual on both their weapons, making careful preparations first.
   Secure an Advantage: 5 +2 [heart] +1 [Ritualist] vs 6,2; strong hit, +1 mom [Ritualist] -> 5, +1 on next move
   Ritual - Keen: 5 +2 [heart] +1 [SaA] vs 2,7; strong hit - taking this for both weapons
The nightwatch passed slowly, until midnight arrived. As it did the assembled defenders of the village saw a large fire blossom into the night to the north-east the direction of Lady Mertree's dun and the leaping flames soon illuminated the dun.

A wave of alarm rippled through the assembled people, eventually quietened by the shouting of Captain Maestyn, "Listen! The warband will return to the dun - to your horses!"

The headman, Cardy, tried to talk to Maestyn, but it was no use even trying, the oathsworn warriors had no choice but to return and defend their Lady.

Enough for this post; more soon!