Monday 19 March 2012

Shopping @ WMMS, part 3

Well, time for the last part of my shopping expedition to WMMS ...

So what ELSE did I buy at WMMS?  A completely new theatre (of WW2 not building!) and scale. I've long had a thing for the more ... 'uncommon' conflicts as can probably be evidenced by my Burma project and the WW2.5 project.

Anyway, I've never used/painted 20mm figures so I'd thought I'd use that for this project, which is Norway 1940. So, on to what I purchased. I was browsing the stalls wondering what I should spend money that I haven't got on toys that I would probably never play with, when I got to the Lancashire Games stand. Amongst their 20mm 'battlepacks' they had one with Norwegian Infantry in it. The battlepacks have a sliding price (dependent on how many you buy), and a constant number of figures. For 20mm, this is 24 figures, so after considerable umms and ahhs, and changing my mind and exchanging a couple of packs, I wound up getting these four packs:

Browsing a bit more, ad leafing through an Osprey title on the campaign I picked up, I purchased a couple of tanks - a French Hotchkiss 39 and Panzer 2 from .... can't remember :(
 I also got a 'Kubelwagen armoured car' but didn't photo that. An interesting point on these resin models, is the metal core to the gun barrels - damn fine idea!

Entering 20mm scale opens up a far wider variety of plastic kits for use and there were quite a few retailers of kits at WMMS. So after much browsing, I got these boxes of infantry which were £6 each and hold around 35 infantry:

But I realised I had no LMGs or other support for my infantry - the battle packs have normal infantry and a couple of command figures only - so I got these kits as well ...
but, it wasn't until I got home and checked online that I realised the PAK 40 is much too late for Norway - bummer!

I've also ordered the Revell 1/72 kit of the German landship the Neubaufahrzeug, as 3 of these saw action in Norway. Photos of that when it arrives!