Saturday 29 June 2019

Careena 11 - A Change in Masters

   We left the last post with Careena delivering the Chief's message to Gamana, and Gamana making a strange pronouncement about visitors, so we'll pick it up there ...


"I need a new home," Gamana began, "Will you help me?"

"I would be happy to do so, my lady," Careena replied, "But I have something to ask of you. Will you be my master? I have learnt of myself that I am not a suitable student for Rhuddli."

Gamana looked at Careena for a long moment. "Of course I will Careena, and I must say that your turn of phrase is both excellent and does you credit."

"The only thing that I regret is that we have to tell Rhuddli - that will not be ... pleasant."
   This is a big change for Careena, and is worthy of ...
   Reach a Milestone: I will become a Ritualist, -> 6/10
"Well, we can't do that until he comes back, so let us begin on your home shall we?" Careena began, "What do you need?"
   Gather Information: 1 +3 [wits] vs 8,8; miss with a twist
   I'm not going to roll for the twist as I've had an idea that I can use here.
"Well, as to that," Gamana began, "The message that you brought me has completely changed the situation; my sister has invited me to return to the Tribe."

"Is that good news?" asked Careena, "I would have thought that you would be pleased, but you seem not to be ... it is hard to tell with the mask after all ..."

"I do not know, Careena," replied Gamana, "She was my sister once, but as I have said before, it has been many cycles of the seasons since last we met and I fear me that this may be a trap - it is unknown among our people for someone who lost in the circle to return to the same tribe."
Gamana stood in a thoughtful pose, unconsciously (or so it seemed) tapping the message tube against the bottom of her mask.

"Do you know the Sway ritual Careena?" Gamana asked, and when Careena nodded, continued - "Can you perform it for me please? I have always found that the answer is clearer when performed for someone else, and it may help with the Augur that I will perform after."

"Of course my lady," Careena replied - she was only to happy to help
   Ritual - Sway: 1 +3 [wits] vs 2,3; strong hit, answer given
Careena centred herself and spoke Gamana's name three times to the wind ... "Find old friends ..." came the reply to her which she passed to Gamana.

"Hmmm ... well, it helps," Gamana said. "Now, have you learnt the Augur ritual?" Gamana asked.

"I have observed it performed, but not done so myself as yet," Careena replied.

"Well, observe me - I would be most interested to see how I and Rhuddli differ in our methods," and Gamana began her Augur.

Gamana's version of Augur was much briefer than Rhuddli's and she spoke few words, none after the crows arrived - Rhuddli's had a chant that lasted from the crows' arrival to their departure.

As the crows circled Gamana, Careena - as she had expected - heard no speech in their cries, but she knew that Gamana would be learning the answer to her question - whatever it may have been ...

Their task done, the crows broke their circling and dispersed, returning whence they came.

"Well now I know what we - may I include you Careena?" Gamana interrupted herself to ask.

"Of course, my lady," replied Careena.

"Good - your answer gladdens my heart, I thank you," Gamana replied smiling - or so Careena though, those damned masks ...

"Well, I know what we must do. First, wait here and do what we must with Rhuddli. Then we will head north to meet the visitors I was told to expect - I believe that they are the old friends you were told of. And then, we will head east to meet new friends."

"Good, I am glad that we have a plan. I'll get the rest of my belongings from Sammay and yours that she carries as she is Rhuddli's pony and I am s certain as can be that he will insist upon taking her."

"Before you do that Careena," Gamana began, "Have you sworn a vow to Rhuddli, I would not have you an Oath-breaker on my account."

"If I did, then I am not aware of it and thus it would be no true vow. Neither, man nor god could, or would, hold me to it," Careena said with complete certainty.

Collecting all of Careena's and Gamana's belongings and bundling up produced loads for both of them. Careena's was far the larger but she believed that she could manage it and still match Gamana's walking pace. She would have to be quick about dumping it if it came to a fight though ...

They had just begun to compare the Augur ritual as Gamana had conducted it and how Careena had seen Rhuddli performed it, when Rhuddli returned to the glade, "Naming calls ..." muttered Careena to herself.

Careena strode across the glade to Rhuddli, and went down on one knee in front of him, "Master," she began, "I am leaving your service and entering that of Lady Gamana."

"What!?" shouted Rhuddli, "You cannot! You swore a vow to serve me!"

"I did not," replied Careena, "I made no such vow," Careena finished, the ring of iron in her words.
   I'm going to use a Face Danger move here to convince Rhuddli of the truth in Careena's statement. I'll use the An Immovable Object ability from the Dwarf-Blood asset here as her stubbornness is in play here.
   Face Danger: 4 +2 [heart] +1 [An Immovable Object] vs 7,3; weak hit, Endure Stress (-1 spirit -> 4)
   Endure Stress: 3 +4 [spirit] vs 2,5; strong hit, shake it off (-1 mom -> 7, + 1 spirit -> 5)
Careena's complete and utter certainty that she had sworn no such vow, left no room for Rhuddli to try and convince her, so he gave up trying and turned his ire upon Gamana
   I think that this - "A Dwarf never forgets their vows" - says that Careena has reached a milestone for her vow
   Reach a Milestone: I will learn what it means to be a Dwarf, -> 5/20
But Careena would not have it - "This is no doing of Gamana's - it is my choice. I will no longer be your apprentice - it is time for me to move on. I bear you no ill will Rhuddli, as I hope that you bear me none."
   I'm going to make a 'Test Your Bond' move here. At the moment I have no interest in maintaining this bond, but it will make for story opportunities further along the line, so I'll leave it to the move
   Test Your Bond: 3 +2 [heart] vs 6,9; miss, clear the bond & Pay the Price
   that answers that then ...
"You are determined upon this course," said Rhuddli looking closely at Careena, "and I can tell that nothing that I say will deter you. Very well then Careena of Hillbarrow."

Rhuddli strode to Sammay and took up her reins, turned to face Careena and said, "You have betrayed my faith and trust; you are nothing to me - do not seek my help or claim to know me. I pronounce my curse upon you and yours." With that he strode away into the forest, tugging Sammay along behind him.
   Right, time to Pay the Price which will be -1 spirit -> 4
   Endure Stress: 3 +4 [spirit] vs 4,10; weak hit, press on
Careena turned to Gamana and said, "I'll miss Sammay the pony more than him." She bent to retrieve her load from the ground, took her axe in her hand and said to Gamana, "Shall we begin our journey?"

"We shall my friend, for friend I name you because of the bond of friendship between us," Gamana replied
   Forge a Bond: 4 +2 [heart] vs 2,4; strong hit, mark bond, choose +1 spirit -> 5
"But first," she continued, "There is something that I need from you. Much as it pains my heart to ask this, the lore of the Elves requires it. For me to lead you upon the path of the marked and thence to the true magic - the Dweomer as it is called - you must swear a vow to serve me for a year and a day."

"The 'Dweomer'? But that is naught more than children's tales like the Wildfolf!" Careena responded.

Gamana made no reply. She stood perfectly still and looked into Careena's eyes.

Careena decided. She wanted to know and she wanted to learn, so she knelt before Gamana and took her right hand in both of hers. "I, Careena, an apprentice, do swear to you, my master Gamana, upon the iron in my soul, that I will serve you for a year and a day."
   Swear an Iron Vow: I will serve Gamana for a year and a day (extreme); 5 +2 [heart] +1 [bond] vs 4,7; strong hit, +2 mom -> 9

Time to pause once again; more soon!