Monday 14 May 2012

Dave Graffam Models 2 - The Village Chapel

The second of my posts on Dave Graffam Models (DGM) has the Village Chapel as its subject. Although I have a lot of the buildings available from DGM, the Pub, Village Chapel and a couple of the low ruins (reviewed by Vampifan the Great (VtG) in this post: daves-games-low-ruins-and-crosspiece ) are the only ones I've built so far, so this will be last post on DGM for now - unless anyone wants to see my attempts at the low ruins?

Anyway, the Village Chapel. In this first pic, you can see the sheer size of the finished build; that teeny-tiny figure in the foreground is Van Fampi, the same renowned interior designer who appeared in my post on the DGM Pub ( dave-graffam-models-1-pub ).
Van Fampi arrives to cast his critical eye over the chapel ...
As it is a BIG build, I made a change to it in an attempt to ease storage - namely the steeple is removable and fits inside the main body of the church when not in use. Speaking of removable parts, this next pic shows  all the roofs removed along with the steeple taken off and you can just about see my beginning of applying interior decor. I (and VtG) have mentioned the layers used in DGM models and the interior wall you can see below shows this at its best I think. I've used the exterior wall, with all layers hidden, except for the same windows I used when I printed the exterior walls. IMO this creates a great plaster/whitewash finish, with a bit of accumulated dirt. You can also see on the floor some of the other bits that I've printed to finish the interior.
VF is a bit surprised to see it fall apart around him!!
In this close-up of the interior, you can see the wall more clearly and also the interior of the small annex. The flooring I used is from the DGM Low Ruins (IIRC!), and I think it fits very well for the floor of a chapel.
"Well, I mean to say ... the floor is ok, but the walls?!
the windows can't be seen through and don't get me started on the doors!!"
In this final pic that shows the interior of the foyer, you can just about make out that I've finished the decoration in this part. As it stands though, it was pretty pointless to do that, as it's damn difficult to get your into, so you can't place and/or move figures! I'm contemplating cutting the doors out though to enable much easier access.
Van Fampi is very glad to leave this half-finished build ...
FYI: The model - including butresses, foyer, annex and steeple - is 33cm long, by 18cm wide and 35cm tall

This is another great model from DGM, that I'm glad I got. It is very imposing when built, and using the layers once more, you can have a "stone" finish (as I've used), brick or clapboard (wooden planks) and as you have the options of foyer/annex/tower or not you can have many different builds.

edited:  I forgot, I have the DGM 'Cottage' assembled as well, so I may well do a post on that