Monday 21 May 2012

Dave Graffam Models 3 - The Cottage

At the end of my last post, I said I'd do another Dave Graffam Model post and gave a choice of 3. In the comments on that post, The Extraordinarii voted for The Cottage, so that's what I'm putting up this time.

So here it is, inspected as before by Van Fampi - still a world renowned interior designer, but there's no interior for him to criticise this time!  This was the first of my DGM builds and it was very unambitious. I glued the roof on this one and used some old fag packets I had kept for just such a purpose to glue the card walls to. Anyway, the model itself is quite ... 'strange' in its design (IMNSHO obviously!), and I'm not entirely sure how it can be a cottage.  Bearing in mind that this build is entirely as supplied by DGM and I've not tried to make any bashes/or customisations to it, it is impractically thin, as you'll see in the pics below. I used none of the surface texture layers, hoping to give it a plastered/whitewashed feel, thus increasing the model's potential periods of use - e.g. ECW for Witchfinder, early 20thC for 7TV, etc

Anyway, the first pic shows the main entrance with Van Fampi to give scale
"No opening doors?! huh! amateur build!"
From this angle you can see what I mean by 'thin' - at least I hope so!
"Can't look through the windows either ..."
This is the 'rear elevation'
"Another non-opening door and more 'windows' - pfah!"
Finally the last elevation showing the cottage's tower ... well known for towers are cottages ... aren't they?
"Well it will be alright as a space filler ... I SUPPOSE!!"
I do like this model, but I'm don't believe that 'The Cottage' is the right name for it ... not that I have a better name that is! I reckon I'll probably build another at some point with an interior, but for now, I'm quite happy with this one.