Monday 22 August 2011

The Ethics of Wargaming ...

I attended the Eastern Front Wargaming show yesterday and inflicted my presence - and Zombie Horde - on Zombie Ad's display ATZ game. Having turned it from a display to a participation game for him - by saying to some observers "d'you fancy a go?", I wandered off and looked around the convention.

Pictures of the game will be in my next post!

But while browsing I saw an advert for a new range of Brits in Afghanistan and that got me to thinking, should this current conflict be wargamed? is it ethical to be playing a game, where the potential exists for someone to come up to the game and see something they have partaken in being played out on a table?

I don't have an answer, and I'm certain everyone will have their own opinion, but I think it is something that should be considered by anyone who could be in that situation. For instance what do you say to someone in a wheelchair put there by a situation like that on your table? I wouldn't know what to say them ...

I've never asked a combat veteran what they would say or think ... and. for that matter, I do game world war 2 wargames and although getting smaller, the potential for a veteran seeing me gaming it certainly exists.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't game current wars - it's not for me to tell people what to do! It is my personal choice not to; if you choose to, I won't say you are wrong either. I just think you should consider what could be the consequences of your choice ...