Monday 27 June 2022

Brunvoldt 01 - Beginnings

At his knock, a voice from behind the door responded, "Come." Brunvoldt entered Lady Sibila's office. It had been three years since he had been in this room, but nothing noticeable had changed.

  "Sit down Brunvoldt, please," she asked and continued when he had. "I am told that you are ready to leave the Library and return to the world," she stated. "Do you agree?"
  "Yes my Lady," he replied. "I believe that I am."
  "Good, I am very glad to hear that," she paused for a moment as she looked measuringly at him. "I have decided that you shall be our Sentinel-of-the-Faith. This means that you shall be my personal agent, resolving problems that trouble our Church. You will retain your quarters here at Templemount, but expect to spend most of your time travelling. I may not be able to see you personally at times, so you may swear your Tasks to the nearest Priestess. Do you understand?" her questioning grey eyes held his.

  "I believe that I do, my Lady." he replied, doing his best to hold her gaze.
  "Good," she said, pleased. "Your first Task is to go to the Giant tribe that ranges to the north-west of Firstmeet and learn why they have ceased their trading visits to that village. They have not visited for the last half-year and although we do not need their trade, it is of course, advantageous to us and if the Giants have some kind of problem, it is to our benefit to learn what afflicts them as soon as possible." She paused, ensuring Brunvoldt was following.
  "You will not take any action that may jeopardise the Faith's relations with the tribe - that is very important," she finished. "Now, swear that you will do this for our Faith."

Brunvoldt drew Lili's sword - No. It was his sword now, he had to stop thinking of it as Lili's - that led only to melancholy and despair. Resolutely, he knelt, held the blade in his bare right hand and spoke the words, "I swear upon the Iron of my Faith and the Iron of this Holy Sword, that I will investigate the Giant tribe and report my findings."

  This a dangerous vow
  Swear an Iron Vow: +Wits from Devotant 2nd ability, use linked stat; 4 +3 vs 6 & 2 => strong hit => +4 momentum (+2 strong hit, +2 Devotant 2nd) now +6; formidable vow: "I will investigate the Giant tribe and report my findings"

  As if discerning his resolution, as he sat on the chair again Lady Sibila said, "Thank-you Brunvoldt. I am pleased that you have recovered, it has warmed my heart."

  This is an opportunity for Brunvoldt to connect with Lady Sibila who will be a formidable connection
  Make a Connection: +Heart; 3 +3 vs. 6 & 1 => weak hit => complication
  No idea, so I rolled on the Ironsmith Expanded Oracles 'Plot Knowledge an NPC Can Give' table and got 'a person with important information about a formidable or lower vow'
  "Thank you my Lady," answered Brunvoldt, beginning to rise, believing the conversation finished.
  "One more thing," began Lady Sibila holding up her hand to arrest Brunvoldt's movement. "Priestess-of-Vanth Gunnhildr at Firstmeet has contacted me. She has some ... 'issue' that she felt unable to document on a rook-message. When you get to Firstmeet, find out the nature of this issue and resolve it."
  "Of course my Lady," said Brunvoldt.
  "Leave as soon as you are ready, Brunvoldt," said Lady Sibila, "and thank-you."
  "Thank you for this my Lady, I am very grateful for the opportunity to serve the Faith again," said Brunvoldt, rising to his feet. With a bow that the Lady acknowledged with a nod he left her office.

From Lady Sibila's office went to his quarters to fetch Magnus - he had to collect the armour for the Vagthund that the new Temple-Armourer, Maghilde had been resizing. Maghilde had only held the position for a month and Templemount gossip already had things to say about her.

  Descriptors and goal for Maghilde: Zealous, Courteous, Flexible; 'Teach others'

Maghilde was expecting Brunvoldt and Magnus' armour was ready - needing only a final fitting. "It just needs a few final tweaks and it will be ready - say in two watches, if you can leave Magnus with me?" offered Maghilde

So Brunvoldt went off to secure the supplies and a pair of packbison that he would need for his journey. He didn't know how long he would be searching for the Giants, so he had decided to take a pair for a measure of safety. Arranging that they would be loaded and ready for him to leave in the morning took him the best part of three watches, so he returned to the Temple-Armoury and found an armoured Magnus waiting for him.

  "Thank-you Maghilde, this looks excellent!" said Brunvoldt.
  "Glad to help our new Sentinel," smiled Maghilde. Brunvoldt liked the way that Maghilde's smile twinkled in her eyes. "The wolf collar is standard for all Vagthund, as you know, but the brigandine coat is something new for them. I don't anticipate that it will have any problems, but be sure to let me know, whether there are or not." She paused, "I hear you are leaving tomorrow?"
  "I am indeed," Brunvoldt said. "Is there anything you need me to do for you?"
  "Yes, there is actually," Maghilde smiled again. "I want to find apprentices, we have the capacity for more, but there are none in Templemount who want to learn the profession. If you could find me some on your journeys, I would apprciate it."
  Sven, the crippled lad in Highfall, leapt immediately to Brunvoldt's mind. "I know of a likely lad in Highfall, I'll go and ask him and let you know by rook."
  "Thank-you again Brunvoldt," Maghilde positively beamed now. "That is most kind - may Holy Vanth watch over you on your travels," and bowed to him. Brunvoldt politely returned the bow and smile, summoned Magnus and left Maghilde to her work.

  Another connection opportunity for Brunvoldt, this time troublesome
  Make a Connection: +Heart; 5 +3 vs. 6 & 3 => strong hit

The next morning, fully prepared, Brunvoldt left Templemount on his first mission as the Sentinel-of-the-Faith of the Holy-Church-of-Vanth.

 


Back to Previous     :     On to Next


Return to Brunvoldt Index Page