Wednesday 22 June 2022

Radulf 11 - The Lady

  This one got away from me. I had no idea how this conversation would go before I started writing it, but once I had started, it just came right out; unfortunately, it turned into a wall of text! I hope you can get through it, I think it's worth it

At his knock, a voice from behind the door responded, "Come." Radulf opened the door to Lady Sibila's office and entered, closing the door behind him. His initial reaction was surprise -at the relative plainness and small size of the office of the most powerful person in the region.

But then his eyes fell upon Lady Sibila. Radulf's departure on his first Charun patrol had been the first time that he had been close to the Lady, but then he had been so nervous that he had not really taken the time to actually look at her. She was beautiful. More beautiful than anyone he had ever seen. But not in a warm inviting way like Lili, the Priestess in Woodwatch - beatiful in a regal, powerful way, almost frightening. Her age merely added to her beauty - the faint beginnings of crow's feet at the corners of her eyes were an intriguing detail - not in any way a detraction.

Even as he stood there, these unbidden thoughts sprinting through his mind, Radulf realised that it was for him to announce himself, so trying to regain his composure, he did. "My Lady, you wanted to see me."

  "Yes, Radulf. I do," she replied. "But first, I believe that you have a letter for me from Priestess Lili?" Radulf approached the desk and handed over the letter - Lady Sibila broke the seal and read it.
  "It seems that you have an admirer Radulf. Lili is fulsome in her praise of your valour and heroism." Radulf began to protest, but with a disarming smile, Lady Sibila continued, "Hush Radulf, I merely tease you. For a man of your relative inexperience to confront - and defeat no less - a Chimera is a remarkable feat of Faith and Arms. You are to be congratulated - and we will do that tomorrow."
  "Tomorrow my Lady?" asked Radulf.
  "Yes, we will have a service of thanksgiving and praise to Our Lady and her faithful Charun to celebrate your victory." A look of acute embarassment formed on Radulf's face.
  "But my Lady, I do not deserve such praise," Radulf said. "It was Charun that enabled the victory."
  "I can see that you have much to learn Radulf," replied the First-Priestess-of-Vanth. "The service will be about your feat, but it is really to inspire our brethren, so that with a Faith of Iron they will know what can be achieved, even by one so young as you. So it will happen regardless of your desire."

  "But, I did not summon you to discuss tomorrow's service," she continued. "What do you know about the origins of a Chimera?"
  "Its origin? Nothing my Lady, that was not covered in our classes on the Restless," replied Radulf.
  "It is not something known by many and the Faith has decided that that is the best policy," the Lady's tone indicated that she was not in agreement. She went on, "The Chimera has nothing to do with the great plague that causes the Restless to stir. It is deliberately created through vile magic. So you understand what this means?"
  After a moment's pause to think, Radulf replied, "Yes my Lady. The person who created the Chimera is still out there and must be dealt with." The smile that graced Lady Sibila's face brightened Radulf's heart.
  "Indeed Radulf. And your reward for defeating the Chimera, is to find that villain and destroy them. I declare that this foul act has made this villain anathema to all that our Faith stands for." The Lady's eyes blazed briefly with the righteous fury this villain kindled within her. "We cannot suffer them to continue." She stood and lifted her personal sword from its stand behind her.

  "You will now swear upon my sword to end this villain," and she came around the desk to hold her sword before Radulf.
  Radulf knelt before the First-Priestess-of-Vanth, held the blade in his bare right hand and spoke his vow, "I swear upon the Iron of my Faith and the Iron of this Holy Sword, that I will end the villain that created the Chimera."

  So. This is a difficult job - the reward for over-achieving! I'm making this a formidable vow.
  Swear an Iron Vow: +Heart (
Bannersworn gives re-roll any dice, if needed) : 6 +2 vs 8 & 7, re-roll 8, get 6 => strong hit => +2 momentum, now +9 (maxed); formidable vow: "I will end the villain that created the Chimera"

  "Thank-you Radulf," the Lady said, "You have passed my test. If you had refused or hesitated, I would not have held it against you, but your Faith is Iron and you swore the vow unhesitatingly - Iron in your belief that Charun would guide you. I am most pleased." She replaced her sword and sat behind her desk once more.

  "The winter is here now. You will begin your Holy Duty after the first thaw of spring," she began. "Until then, continue your training here. You will permanently draw full Charun regalia as your personal equipment, select a Kadaverhund and bond with it. Understood?"
  Radulf hoped that he hid his surprise - permanent regalia?! and a Kadaverhund?! "Yes my Lady."
  "After the Midwinter Festival, go to Woodwatch and train with Priestess Lili as this Holy Task will be hers to fulfill as well."
  "Of course, my Lady," replied Radulf feeling somewhat overwhelmed.
  "Here are the papers necessary for your instructions." She held out the papers and looked Radulf directly in the eye, holding his gaze. "Understand Radulf, you have done well and, as I said, I am most pleased. You may go."
  Radulf took the papers, bowed and left.

  Some game mechanical things to do now:
  Lady Sibila's descriptors; I didn't want to generate these, I wanted them to come out through the conversation, and I will assign: Regal, Calm, Powerful
  Advance: spend 3xp for
Companion Hound asset with the ability Sharp
  I'm going to assign a threat to Radulf's new vow called 'Plots of the Villain'; IIRC, I've not used a threat before and this is a great opportunity to do so