Monday 20 June 2022

Radulf 07 - Vow Forsaken

  So descriptors for Indridi: Arrogant, Abrupt, Vicious; I'm also using the excellent Ironsmith: Expanded Oracles and after discussing it with the members of the Ironsworn Discord, I've decided to use 3 descriptors for NPCs. I got a profession for Idridi - charcoal maker - from this generator
  I buy Ironclad to increase his combat capability and then create a social challenge ... oops!

 Not knowing how else to begin his task, Radulf began by talking to Gunnhildr ...

  Gather Information: +Wits; 1 +3 vs. 5 & 1 => weak hit => burn momentum, now +2 => discover something helpful and specific, +2 momentum, now +4
  As a note, I burned momentum here as I really wanted to be certain of at least one side of the disagreement; as it transpired though, I needn't have bothered ...

Gunnhildr told Radulf that the jewelry - a silver necklace - had been an anniversary gift to her from Idridi.

  "Unfortunately, Idridi did not realise that I couldn't tolerate him anymore," she explained. "He's a vicious man, who was making my life hell and I had already decided to dissolve our union - I was just waiting for the permission from Lady Sibila to come from Templemount. To be honest, if he hadn't been such a complete arse about it, I'd let him have the damned thing, but now, it'll snow on midsummer before that happens." Her eyes blazed as she looked up at Radulf, defying him to argue with her.
  "Thank-you Gunnhildr," replied Radulf, as politely as he could, holding his hands up in a placatory manner, "I wish that this task had not fallen to me, but you must know that I now have to talk to Idridi. As divine Themis teaches us - there are 3 sides to every story - my side, your side and the truth."
  "I do not need lessons in Faith from you!" Gunnhildr shouted at him, but then she took a deep breath and with a visible effort calmed herself down; "I am sorry, but this is very difficult for me. Go - talk to Idridi, I shall pray and try to find calm."

Radulf left the temple and went in search of Idridi.

  I'm marking this as progress, as he has Gunnhildr's side, on the vow "I will decide if the jewelry belongs to Gunnhildr or Idridi"
  Reach a Milestone: troublesome vow, progress now 3/10

Looking around the village, Radulf could see no trace of the man, so he headed to the council's hut, where he hoped to find Mayor Finnr. Entering the hut, he did find Finnr, seated at the desk, apparently busy with some of the innumerable tasks required run a settlement.

  "Excuse me Mayor," asked Radulf, "Do you know where Idridi may be found?"
  "Of course, Charun," Finnr replied. "He's a Charcoal maker and said he was going to check his burn after the blizzard, but I think he was really trying to avoid you," and he gave Radulf directions to the clearing where Idridi currently had his burn.

Leaving the hut, Radulf left Firstmeet and followed the directions Finnr had given him into the trees. The heavy snow that lay on the trees and all around muffled the noise of his passage, but it did nothing to muffle the scream that ripped through the forest from up ahead ...

Breaking into a run, Radulf readied his Greathammer - the pain in the scream convincing him that someone was being attacked.

  I rolled on the Oracle to see what the situation was with Idridi, and after several rolls found he was being attacked, by the Restless - six Bonewalkers, which is a Formidable foe
  Enter the Fray: facing off,
Formidable foe, +Heart; 4 +3 vs. 7 & 2 => weak hit => take initiative
Radulf ran into a clearing and saw that Idridi was trying desperately to stay on top of his charcoal burn, but one of the Restless was biting his leg and trying to pull him down to the ground. Five other Restless were stumbling across the clearing to join their fellow. Shouting his wordless defiance at them, Radulf swung at the nearest.
  Strike: +Iron; 5 +4 vs. 5 & 4 => strong hit => inflict 2 harm, + 1 strong hit; 3 progress, total 3/10, keep initiative
  Strike: +Iron; 6 +4 vs. 7 & 4 => strong hit => inflict 2 harm, + 1 strong hit; 6 progress, total 6/10, keep initiative
  Strike: +Iron; 5 +4 vs. 9 & 4 => weak hit => inflict 2 harm; 2 progress, total 8/10, lose initiative

Radulf was a whirlwind of destruction, laying about him with his Hammer-of-Charun, smashing skulls and limbs with abandon. Five of them were down and would never rise again, but the last had managed to drag Idridi down from the burn and was trying to both eat and claw him at the same time.

  Clash: +Iron; 5 +4 vs. 9 & 9 => miss + complication => Pay the Price ... hmmm ... I know ...
  Mark failure track, progress now 1.25/10
  Clash: +Iron; 5 +4 vs. 8 & 4 => strong hit => inflict 2 harm, +1 momentum, now +5; 2 progress, total 10/10
  End the Fight: progress 10 vs. 7 & 6 => strong hit => Restless destroyed by Hammer-of-Charun will not rise

Radulf's swing connected with the head of the last Restless destroying it, but it was too late for Idridi. The last Restless had torn out his own throat and Idridi's own heart killed him as it pumped his lifeblood across the snow from the horrible wound in his neck.

  There's the price and the complication - Idridi is killed

Kneeling down to close Idridi's lifeless eyes, Radulf muttered "You damned fool, no-one should be in the woods alone on a day like this," apparently oblivious to the irony of his words. He said the departure prayer and then lifted Idridi over his shoulder and headed back to Firstmeet.

The wardens on the wall saw Radulf's approach and a handcart came out to meet him. With Idridi's body on the cart, covered by an old canvas, the sorry group entered the village. Within moments, Finnr had joined them and Radulf explained what had happened. Idridi was very obviously disliked by most as no-one seemed very sorry at his death, but Gunnhildr made a good effort at appearing sorrowful.

By now, the remaining Council-of-Five members were all present, so Radulf gathered them and spoke.

  With Idridi dead, Radulf has no choice but to
  Forsake Your Vow: "I will decide if the jewelry belongs to Gunnhildr or Idridi", troublesome, -1 Spirit, now +4

  "Idridi's death means I can no longer complete my vow to resolve the dispute, for which I must apologise to you all," he told them. "With your permission, I will withdraw to the temple for prayer. Gunnhildr would you come with me?"
  "Of course, Charun," replied Gunnhildr and they went to the temple.

Before the altar Radulf knelt and holding Gunnhildr's holy sword, spoke the required words, ""I swear upon the Iron of my Faith and the Iron of this Holy Sword, that I have had to forsake my vow to decide if the jewelry belongs to Gunnhidlr or Idridi as it is an impossibility to complete."

After a moment - almost a hesitation - the vow's weight lifted from Radulf; "Holy Vanth concurs," said Gunnhildr and replaced the holy sword upon the altar.